Mandy of madcanvases shows us how to give new life to old clothes while creating charming holiday gifts in the process.
As is usually the case in our household, when the weather changes my husband goes through all of his clothes and puts together a bag for me to donate to Goodwill. As I looked through the bag, there were a couple items that stuck out because they weren’t in bad shape and I thought they could be re-purposed and given new life. Around this time of the year, there are countless Holiday parties to attend and possibly bring a small gift to, so I thought I could make some unique wine or liquor bottle covers to jazz them up for giving.
Step One: I started out with the pair of jeans and wrapped it around the bottle I was using (a larger vodka bottle in this case) to size it. This lined up perfectly with a rectangle that included the detailing of both the back and front pockets. I flipped the wrong side out and pinned the jean material around the bottle, keeping my pins snug to the side of the bottle.
Step Two: After sewing that seam, I traced out a larger circle of denim using the bottom of the bottle as a guide. Again I flipped that circle so the right side of the fabric was down, placed the bottle and the sides on top and pinned the sides to the bottom, creating a circle seam so the bottle could stand flat.
Step Three: To finish the top, I cut the cuff off of one button down shirt which was the perfect size to slip over the top of the bottle and imitate a shirt collar. I sewed a quick stitch around the top of the denim to keep the two pieces together. When unbuttoned, it slides down the bottle snugly and closing the button secures the whole thing to the neck of the bottle. The pockets provide a good place to add a small note or a gift card to accompany your gift.
Step One: For my other cover, I used an old Chicago Bears jersey. I liked the detail of the v-neck collar, so I cut that piece out and held it around the neck of a wine bottle to pin it where I wanted it to sit.
Step Two: I cut out the front numbers from the jersey, split it into strips and sewed it back together for some texture. I sewed those pieces to the v-neck and realized that it wouldn’t reach all the way around the bottle, so I cut a narrow piece of the stripes and GSH initials from the jersey sleeve. I used that strip to secure the back.
Step Three: I used the same technique as above to create a circular base from more of the striped sleeve material. The elastic in the neck allows the bottle to slip in and it holds it securely once it reaches the neck.